TERMS AND CONDITIONS
These Terms and Conditions are attached to, and form part of, the Contract of Hire and set out the restrictions of use of Carrick Castle Estate properties. All agreements made between Carrick Castle Estate and persons or organizations hiring the Properties (the ‘Hirer’) for meetings, banquets, weddings or other functions (‘Functions’) are subject to the conditions listed below. It is up to the Hirer to ensure all contractors and suppliers have access to the terms and conditions.
1. The Hirer must ensure that the maximum number of guests agreed by the venue is not exceeded and that a full list of attendees’ names is supplied to Carrick Castle Estate prior to a function and that all guests have an invitation to be produced on arrival if requested. Together with their invitation, the Hirer must ensure that all guests have received notification of guidance on footwear, i.e. heels to be a minimum diameter of 2cm, to avoid damage to floor surfaces and coverings in the main lodge, heel stoppers to be worn in the lodge and on the lawn, etc.
2. Due to the fragile nature of the historic interiors and contents of Carrick Castle Estate Properties, the Hirer must ensure that any children attending the event are properly supervised. Similarly, adults should behave in a manner that does not cause damage to the property or its collections.
3. For conservation, fire risk and Health & Safety reasons, it is the Hirer’s responsibility to ensure that the maximum agreed capacity of any individual room within a property is not exceeded.
4. Smoking is not permitted in any indoor area. This is in compliance with the Smoking; Health and Social Care (Scotland) Act. 2005. A Carrick Castle Estate representative will advise of outdoor areas available to smokers.
5. The Hirer (including their guests, contractor(s)/Supplier(s), agent(s), or representative(s) will adhere to all relevant legislation and Carrick Castle Estate management instructions (which may include policies, procedures, and local and ad hoc instructions) relating to smoking, alcohol, and drugs (including the misuse of Substances) whilst on Carrick Castle Estate premises. The Carrick Castle Estate may suspend or cancel any event at any time (without liability) if it’s staff believe that any such legislation or instruction are breached.
6. Access to the lodge by any person not resident of the lodge at the time is by special request only and with prior agreement with the lodge or estate manager. If this is not arranged in advance there may be a venue hire fee payable on departure.
7. The check in and check out times are stated at the time of booking and confirmed on the booking confirmation. Failure to adhere to these times will incur a charge of £50 per hour, deductible from the good housekeeping deposit.
Preparation, Staffing and Clearing Up
8. Power requirements must be discussed and agreed with the Carrick Castle Estate at least 3 months prior to the event. Where the Carrick Castle Estate has equipment plugged into sockets, it must not be disconnected from the power supply, even momentarily. Any damage caused to the property’s collections or other property by an interruption to the power by the Hirer will be the liability of the Hirer. Any equipment owned by, or hired to the Hirer, must be accompanied by a valid Portable Electrical Appliance Test Certificate. Carrick Castle Estate take no liability for power failures which may take place during the event or lease of any Carrick Castle Estate’s properties and it is the responsibility of the Hirer to arrange an external power supply and/or backup generator which may be required in the event of a power cut.
9. The hired areas within the site must be left clean and tidy and refuse and recycling removed from the property by the hirer or its contractors. Carrick Castle Estate reserves the right to make an additional charge for any area left in an unacceptable state. All event equipment must be removed before the end of the hire date. This includes refuse, recycling, cigarette butts, food waste and any other refuse generated by the hirer and their guests.
10. The Hirer undertakes to provide adequate stewarding and reception arrangements and be responsible for the management of the function and the safety and security of the property and those attending.
11. Accidents and damage to Carrick Castle Estate property, whether of the historic interiors or the property’s collections, must be reported to the Lodge Manager immediately, so that appropriate action can be taken to minimize permanent damage. The Hirer will be required to sign an Accidental Damage Report form before they leave the premises. The cost of repairs to any such damage to historic interiors and/or collections will be the sole responsibility of the Hirer.
Antiques and Furniture Care
12. Tables, chairs and other event furniture brought into the Property must be kept a distance of 1 meter from the property’s historic furnishings. Access routes are to be agreed with Carrick castle Estate staff.
13. No item of the property’s collections within the subjects of Hire may be moved unless by prior agreement with Carrick Castle Estate and all handling and moving will be done by Carrick Castle Estate staff.
14. Real candles and naked flames are not permitted on Carrick Castle Estate premises unless agreed in advance with the Lodge Manager; alternatives are available and the Carrick Castle Estate Manager will advise. (Candles in place throughout the lodge are for decorative purposes only).
15. Confetti is not permitted at Carrick Castle Estate properties unless made of eco-friendly substances or natural flower petals in outdoor locations and cleared up prior to the departure of the Hirer.
16. The positioning of flower arrangements must be agreed with Lodge Manager, who will ensure that historic surfaces are adequately protected. Flower arrangements must not be watered, sprayed or topped up except in designated areas. Berries, grapes and soft fruits must not be used in flower arrangements, and lilies may only be used if their stamens are removed.
Food & Catering
17. All caterers must comply with current Food Safety Legislation.
18. Deep-fat frying is not permitted on Carrick Castle Estate premises.
19. Greasy canapés, crisps etc, red wine, coffee and other staining drinks may only be served to guests who are seated for meals. The Carrick Castle Estate Lodge Manager can advise the Hirer’s caterers on appropriate menus which must exclude greasy and highly-colored food, e.g. crisps, greasy canapés, highly-colored fillings, etc.
20. If Hirers intend to sell alcohol to their guests on Carrick Castle Estate premises, they must check with Carrick Castle Estate and their caterers who will advise if any permission is needed from the local Licensing Authority. Any charge for this may be passed on to the Hirer.
21. The property, including the service areas used by contractors, must be left in a clean and tidy condition and all rubbish removed from the premises/grounds. The Hirer will be held responsible by Carrick Castle Estate for any failure in performance of its contractors in respect of the above and will pay any charges made and any costs incurred by Carrick Castle Estate in making good any failures in performance.
Entertainment & Photography
22. Any entertainment, dancing or other activity arranged by the Hirer must be agreed in advance with Carrick Castle Estate. A risk assessment and/or method statement may be requested by Carrick Castle Estate.
23. Gambling is prohibited within all Carrick Castle Estate Properties.
24. Carrick Castle Estate Properties may not be used for any political purposes.
25. All free-standing equipment such as musical instruments and photographic tripods must have rubber-tipped feet to protect wooden floors and floor coverings should be of a sturdy construction to withstand being knocked over. The use and position should be agreed in advance with the Carrick Castle Estate Lodge Manager.
26. Photography is only permitted by prior agreement with the Carrick Castle Estate Lodge Manager. Permission to use photographic equipment must be agreed with Carrick Castle Estate at least 3 months prior to the hire. The use of photography or video taken in a Carrick Castle Estate property for commercial purpose is strictly prohibited unless otherwise agreed to in writing.
27. If a marquee or any other external equipment (e.g. portaloos, skips, refrigeration vans) are brought onto the site they must be situated in areas designated by Carrick Castle Estate and erected subject to conditions notified by Carrick Castle Estate from time to time. Barriers must be erected subject to Carrick Castle Estate conditions before work starts to ensure public safety. Public access should not be obstructed at any time. The risk of any loss or damage arising from the introduction of such equipment must be adequately covered by insurance and the Hirer will indemnify Carrick Castle Estate against any damage caused to the Carrick Castle Estate’s property by the introduction of such equipment.
28. No stakes of more than 450mm may be used on the estate grounds due to underground heating pipes. Please confirm with all marquee, stretch tent, tipi and any other contractor that these requirements can be adhered to ahead of confirming their hire and ensure that this is strictly adhered to. If unsure please discuss with the lodge manager prior to hiring a contractor.
Parking & Transport
29. Parking areas for suppliers and guests must be strictly adhered to, so that access is available to emergency vehicles at all times. There is sufficient parking for 20 cars on-site. A schedule will be required detailing arrival times, size of vehicles etc of all guests and suppliers at least 14 days in advance of the event. A parking steward is recommended to ensure the maximum capacity of cars can utilize the allocated parking spaces.
30. Arrival or departure from the Property by helicopter (or any other aircraft) is not permitted without the prior written consent of Carrick Castle Estate. In the event that consent is granted, consent may be granted subject to conditions and may be subject to an additional charge.
31. Carrick Castle Estate respects your privacy and will not disclose your personal data to any third party without your consent. By providing your signature on the Contract of Hire you consent to Carrick Castle Estate processing any personal data that may be collected from you for the purpose of supplying goods or services pertinent to the hire, maintaining customer records and collating statistical information. Any information we do pass to third party will be used only to provide the goods, services or information you have requested.
Payments and Deposits
32. Payments/Deposits: Subject to the terms of this paragraph, a non-refundable deposit of £1000 of the Total Booking Fee (incl. VAT) is required to confirm the venue booking and 50% to confirm accommodation. Fees are due and payable with the acceptance of these terms and conditions. In the event that the Total Booking Fee is less than £500 then the full amount of the Total Booking Fee is due and payable as a deposit on acceptance of these terms and conditions. In the event that the booking is cancelled more than three months prior to the date of the event the unpaid remaining balance will not be required for payment to Carrick Castle Estate. In the event that the booking is cancelled less than three months prior to the date of the booking, the remaining balance will be due to Carrick Castle Estate, whether paid at the time of cancellation or not. The Hirer is responsible for the balance of the Total Booking Fee 3 months prior to the event. VAT is charged at the rate in force at date of invoice. A fully refundable deposit of £500 is due in advance of the date of arrival and will be returned on or before one month following the departure of the Hire, if no breakages or negligence are found. Any breakages or negligence in excess of £500 will be for the account of the hirer. Any agreed additional facilities and any surcharge will be invoiced following the hire. Payment is due on receipt of the invoice to confirm dates. Cheques are not accepted. If payment is not made on time Carrick Castle Estate may, at its sole discretion, cancel the event and retain any deposit paid with no further liability. Notwithstanding the foregoing, in the event that the Total Booking Fee (incl. VAT) is less than £500 or the event is due to take place within 3 months of the date of the booking, the full and non-refundable Total Booking Fee (incl. VAT) will be payable on making the booking.
33. Late payment: In the event of late payment interest will run on any balance outstanding at the rate of 2% above the Base Lending rate of The Royal Bank of Scotland from the time until all outstanding monies have been paid or the reservation has been cancelled by Carrick Castle Estate.
34. Surcharges: In the event of the hire continuing beyond the agreed end time, a surcharge of 25% of the Total Booking Fee (incl. VAT) will be charged for each hour or part thereof in excess of the agreed end time. In addition, any additional costs incurred as a result of the Hirer failing to comply with the terms of this contract will be chargeable to the Hirer. Late check out is charged at £90 per hour, deductible from the good housekeeping deposit.
35. Cancellation: In the event of the Hirer cancelling the event more than 3 months before the date, the Hirer shall forfeit all deposits; in the event of the cancellation of the event by the Hirer within 3 months of the event the full Total Booking Fee (inc. VAT) will still be due and payable. The period of 3 months shall mean a clear period and shall not include the date of the event itself. If a hire has to be cancelled by Carrick Castle Estate, as much notice as practicable will be given and the deposit will be repaid but Carrick Castle Estate will have no further liability. Without prejudice to the foregoing generality, Carrick Castle Estate may cancel events for reasons beyond its control or for reasons of works required to its property. Without prejudice to the foregoing generality, Carrick Castle Estate will not be held liable for any disruption to the function due to the closure of the Property or any restrictions of access which were unforeseen at the time of booking. You may wish to take out insurance cover against this occurrence.
36. Termination: In the event that the Hirer, its contractors, staff or invitees fail to comply with any reasonable requests made by Carrick Castle Estate staff, or in the view of Carrick Castle Estate staff the behavior or actions of the Hirer, its contractors, staff or invitees are likely to be prejudicial to the safety, security or enjoyment of anyone within the property or the safety, security or conservation of the property and its collections, Carrick Castle Estate reserves the right to terminate the hire immediately without notice, refund, or liability.
This website is operated by Carrick Castle Estate. We take your privacy very seriously, therefore, we urge to read this policy very carefully because it contains important information about on:
• Who we are,
• How and why we collect, store, use and share personal information,
• Your rights in relation to your personal information, and
• How to contact us and supervisory authorities in the event that you have a complaint.
Who we are
Carrick Castle Estate (‘we’ or ‘us’) collect, use and are responsible for certain personal information about you. When we do so we are regulated under the General Data protection Regulations which apply across the European Union (including the United Kingdom) and we are responsible as ‘controller’ of that personal information for the purposes of those laws.
The personal information we collect and use
a) Personal information you provide to us
We collect the following personal information that you provide to us: Your name, phone number and email address. Some examples of when we collect this information include: When the enquiry form is completed requesting information regarding accommodation, weddings and events, availability and any other form of enquiry
b) Personal information you provide about third parties
If you give us information about another person, you confirm that the other person has appointed you to act on their behalf and agreed that you: shall consent on their behalf to the processing of their personal data;
shall receive any data protection notices on their behalf; and shall consent on their behalf to the transfer of their personal data abroad.
c) Cookies and similar technologies
How we use your personal information
We collect information about our users for the following purposes:
Who your information may be shared with
We may share your information with: Law enforcement agencies in connection with any investigation to help prevent unlawful activity. We will not share you personal information with any other 3rd parties.
Whether personal information has to be provided by you, and if so why
No personal information has to be provided by you to us at any time.
How long your personal information will be kept
We will hold your personal information for the following periods: Until the end of correspondence between the user and Carrick Castle Estate. These periods are no longer than necessary in each case.
Reasons we can collect and use your personal information
We rely on the following as the lawful basis on which we collect and use your personal information:
consent, public task
Keeping your information secure
We have appropriate security measures in place to prevent personal information from being accidentally lost, or used or accessed in an unauthorised way. We limit access to your personal information to those who have a genuine business need to know it. Those processing your information will do so only in an authorised manner and are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We will also use technological and organisation measures to keep your information secure.
We also have procedures in place to deal with any suspected data security breach. We will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected data security breach where we are legally required to do so.
Indeed, while we will use all reasonable efforts to secure your personal data, in using the site you acknowledge that the use of the internet is not entirely secure and for this reason we cannot guarantee the security or integrity of any personal data that are transferred from you or to you via the internet. If you have any particular concerns about your information, please contact us using the details below.
Transfers of your information out of the EEA
We will not transfer your personal information outside of the EEA at any time.
Children and the validity of consent
Where we obtain consent from any user we will take reasonable steps to ascertain whether the user is over 13 years of age and whether the child is sufficiently informed to give valid consent. If the user is not, parental consent will be required to provide consent for the processing of any personal information.
What rights do you have?
Under the General Data Protection Regulation you have a number of important rights free of charge. In summary, those include rights to:
• fair processing of information and transparency over how we use your use personal information
• access to your personal information and to certain other supplementary information that this Privacy Notice is already designed to address
• require us to correct any mistakes in your information which we hold
• require the erasure of personal information concerning you in certain situations
• receive the personal information concerning you which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and have the right to transmit those data to a third party in certain situations
• object at any time to processing of personal information concerning you for direct marketing
• object to decisions being taken by automated means which produce legal effects concerning you or similarly significantly affect you
• object in certain other situations to our continued processing of your personal information
• otherwise restrict our processing of your personal information in certain circumstances
• claim compensation for damages caused by our breach of any data protection laws
For further information on each of those rights, including the circumstances in which they apply, see the Guidance from the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) on individual’s rights under the General Data Protection Regulations ( If you would like to exercise any of these rights please:
• email, call or write to us
• let us have enough information to identify you
• let us have proof of your identity (a copy of your driving license, passport or a recent credit card/utility bill)
• let us know the information to which your request relates
From time to time we may also have other methods to unsubscribe (opt-out) from any direct marketing including for example, unsubscribe buttons or web links. If such are offered, please note that there may be some period after selecting to unsubscribe in which marketing may still be received while your request is being processed.
How to complain
We hope that we can resolve any query or concern you raise about our use of your information.
The General Data Protection Regulation also gives you right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular in the European Union (or European Economic Area) state where you work, normally live or where any alleged infringement of data protection laws occurred. The supervisory authority in the UK is the Information Commissioner who may be contacted at or telephone: 0303 123 1113.
If you have any questions about this policy or the information we hold about you, please contact us by:
Carrick Castle Estate
Calls will be answered at the following times:
Monday - Friday 0900 - 1700
We may record calls for quality and training purposes.